Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Getting Back on Track

Almost a year has passed since my last post. I didn't even remember my password for logging on! I am recommitting to blogging; one, because I love to write and two, because it is good discipline for me.

When I last wrote, I was discouraged about not being able to run or do much of anything else, because low iron was keeping me in a state of fatigue. I am happy to say that I finally found an iron product that works! I tried many over the course of several years, and the one that made a difference is Nature's Plus Hema-Plex in gel cap form. As a female athlete, my ferritin should be in the 25-50 range yet had hovered around 5-7 for several years. Last time I checked, about six months ago, it was 19! And I could tell the difference. (No, I'm not getting paid for that commercial.)

So, I am a happy runner now, right? Wrong. I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis for a good five months. In fact, when it first started, I ignored it and ran all summer thinking it would go away. Instead, my heel became very angry and unforgiving. I am doing penance now.

My running has been on hold for almost three months, and it has been a lesson in patience! I hope to start running in about two weeks, as I am closely following doctor's orders. In the meantime, I have been doing spin class and water jogging to stay somewhat conditioned. The holidays, busy schedule and runner's blues (what I get when I can't run) has threatened to rob me of the fitness I had attained through the summer.

I am determined to hold my ground though and move forward. I hope you too, have a plan and motivation to get in shape or stay in shape. The mental benefits are almost as good as the physical. Share your plan with someone, for accountability, and keep a journal to record your progress. And whether or not you will set racing as one of your goals, keep in mind that this life is a type of race, or at least a journey, and its good to find the pace that works for you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Ashley. I know it must be frustrating dealing with this injury and not knowing when you can get BACK AT IT! But you will get there again! Step by step, little by little, you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete