Monday, January 9, 2012

On the Road Again!

Today was almost three months to the day that I hadn't run due to a stubborn case of plantar fasciitis. Not only have I abstained from running, I have stretched the fascia, rolled my foot on a golf ball, worn KTtape, taken anti-inflammatories, even gotten a steroid injection. The thing that seemed to really help, or maybe it was the missing ingredient to the mix, was the Strassburg sock, loaned to me by a friend. You wear it at night, and it keeps the ankle at a 90 degree angle with the toes bent slightly toward the shin, which prevents the fascia from contracting and then re-tearing the next morning when you step out of bed. Wearing it is a bit awkward, but it works!

But today was the day! I've had it written on my calendar for a few weeks. Finally, I ventured out this afternoon and ran a whole...mile and a half! It was short but oh, so sweet! I wanted to run farther but have been following doctor's orders, so am easing into it. It occured to me while running, that my past three months of working out (cycling, swimming, ellyptical) minus the running, have seemed much like a BLT sandwich...minus the bacon. Something very important has been missing, and I am so grateful to be adding it back into my life.

It felt good to get out on the open road and let my feet feel the pavement again. The air was chilly and the sky was gray, but I was running and it was wonderful. I actually did a little happy dance. Kind of like the one that Tevya did on Fiddler on the Roof. No, really...I did.

I was thinking about the fact that I am a runner. It's not just something I do, it's something I am. I could live without it, but sure don't want to. I would feel a huge loss if I could never run again. Just three months off was tough, and that was with the expectation of running in the near future. I want to appreciate even more, my ability to run; to be active. So many people don't have that privilege. In fact, I want to be more mindful of all the blessings I have, and instead of taking them for granted, I intend to be more grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment